Tuesday, November 13, 2012

reflections

now that things have calmed down after a hectic summer 2012, i've been doing a lot of thinking about family stuff. dad celebrated his 64th birthday and that's a pretty big milestone. we had a lot of family evenings ... some sad, most happy. i miss my mom and still get teary over little things. but some of the best stuff also happened this summer, starting with jack's arrival, then emily and charlies wedding then the awesome beach trip. all happy family events and we are so fortunate to be able to celebrate and enjoy each other. today i was thinking about what was the most terrible event in my life as a parent ... actually i am so grateful that childhood was uneventful for the most part when raising four children. there could have been a lot more stuff. probably the most terrible occurred when elizabeth had the lump on her lymph node and they suspected leukemia. I guess everything else was minor. Whoever thought cat scratch was a real disease! And Sarah always had a good dr when stitches were required. My regrets. Many I'm sure. Probably over reacting to stuff that in the scheme of thugs wasn't major. Maybe being too controlling but I like to think of that as protective. And particularly not reading more to my children as they were growing up. This is obviously only a partial reflection which I started several times but it's a work in progress.....to be continued

3 comments:

  1. I've had lots of time to think about parenting since Rob died, too. Maybe reflection is just part of the ageing process. On the other hand, DO remember all the GOOD things, too! You were/are a great mother, as your daughters have learned and emulated! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats funny that you think you were controlling, because i always tell people that what you do best is let us make our own decisions. You set a strong example, a few limits, but always let us make our own paths.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to hear more. Parenting is tough. I wish I didn't lose my temper over little things.

    ReplyDelete